Look out for this common sign of poisoning in home test kit

One of the biggest challenges during the pandemic was to get accurate COVID testing. As the positive cases started burgeoning, laboratories were overboard, resulting in pending diagnoses. People had to wait for days for their test results, leading to a delay in the treatment. The situation got a little better with the launch of the home testing kits. The hassle-free fifteen-minute COVID-19 testing kits prove to be quite helpful in providing results as soon as the first symptom appears. But now there is a rising concern in terms of using self-testing kits. As per a few reports gathered from several states of the USA, the self-testing kit can lead to poisoning.

02/5How is the self-testing kit harmful

According to a report published by USA Today, the country’s poison center has warned about a dangerous chemical found in a self-testing kit that could lead to poisoning. It is reported that most of the self-testing contains the toxic substance sodium azide. The colourless, tasteless and odourless chemical, mostly used in car airbags and pest control is also present in some amount in these testing kits. The chemical triggers the chemical reaction, which helps to detect the presence of the virus.03/5What happens when you ingest the chemical

Although a clear instruction has been laid on the testing kit for its usage, there are chances one can accidentally ingest the chemicals. As per experts, sodium azide is a poisonous chemical and even an extremely low dose of it may lead to toxicity. Even a small portion of it on the skin can lead to skin irritation. Eye or nose burning are also common after coming in contact with these chemicals. Swallowing it can lead to dizziness, headache, heart palpitations and low blood pressure.

Continue Reading: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/health-news/coronavirus-if-you-notice-this-after-using-home-covid-test-kits-call-for-emergency/photostory/90166779.cms?picid=90166876